Philips worked with Valerio Maioli S.p.A. to develop an extensive lighting system for the world’s first Formula One™ night race in Singapore 2008, consisting of nearly 1,500 lighting projectors to achieve near-daylight conditions at night.
The projectors were selected by Mr. Maioli because its lighting achieves near-daylight conditions at night, providing a safe environment for drivers on the race track, even at speeds of more than 300km per hour. The lighting system avoids glare by projecting the light beams at different angles rather than vertically. This is to prevent glare in wet weather conditions.
As well as providing safe driving conditions for drivers, Philips Lighting projectors were designed to provide an exciting experience for race attendees and television viewers at home by meeting High Definition Television (HDTV) broadcast standards.
About the Singapore lighting installation:
- One sided lighting installation (instead of both sides of the track) installed at 10m above ground level
- Almost 1500 lighting projectors, placed at 4m apart
- Pylons, set at 32m distance apart, support an aluminum truss along the track
- The truss supports the projectors, power and optic cables, PA loudspeakers, CCTV cameras and advertising
- The lighting provides 3000 lux of light (light intensity), compared to 800 lux for football stadium and 30 lux for street lighting
- At night the light is 4 times brighter than a typical stadium