Roasted chicken meatballs with spiced tomato sauce, basil, yogurt & bread
by Vivien Khaw
Servings 2 persons, Preparation time 35 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 150g garlic
- 1 large white onion
- 30g cayenne
- 30g chilli powder
- 50g smoked paprika
- 500g chicken thighs
- 50g spice paste
- 1 tbs fresh oregano
- 10g kosher tomato sauce
- 500g fresh tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 100g spice paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 50ml water
- 60ml olive oil
- 100ml ketchup (optional)
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 1 slice of bread for croutons
- 2 tablespoon
- Yogurt (optional)
- Begin by making the spice paste.
- Place the garlic and onion in a vegetable mixer or mince it up by hand.
- Warm up a saute pan with oil till hot. Add in onions and garlic. Saute till steam has evaporated.
- Once fully cooked and slightly brown, remove the pan off the heat and add in the spices. Toss gently.
- Remove 1/3 of the spice paste from the pan and reserve that for chicken meat balls.
- In the sauce pan with the remaining spice paste, add the tomatoes and water and begin to cook down the tomato sauce for 10 mins.
- Start making the chicken meatballs by adding in 10 grams of kosher salt and the spice paste with 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped oregano.
- Mix till fully incorporated.
- Shape the meatballs around approximately 35g to 40g (slightly smaller than the size of a ping-pong ball).
- Place in the chiller or freezer for 10 mins to chill.
- After 10 mins, place the meatballs in the Viva Collection Airfryer at 180 degrees for 6 mins.
- The sauce should be ready and can be seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, place them in the sauce to coat lightly.
- Place slices of bread in the same Airfryer and toast for 2 mins till crispy. Cut them up into one-inch pieces.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto plate and garnish with yogurt, chopped basil and croutons.